[Rhodes22-list] RE: Michael's Diesel #1 and #2

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 20:54:32 EST 2003

Ed,

#1 fuel oil and kerosene are not the same thing. Kerosene is more "refined"
than #1 oil. #3 fuel oil is an even heavier oil than #2. I think they use it
for firing funaces (like asphalt plants) and things, industrial stuff more
down south than up around here. It's heavy enough that you have to warm it up
before it will light easily. Not an expert on this though :-)

I did run across a guy from down south a few years ago that claimed to be
using #3 oil in the truck he was driving. It was about -20 F that night and I
stopped to help him as his truck was froze up (fuel gelled) on the side of
I-94. Poor bastard was out in that shit in nothing but a light jacket and a
t-shirt. He was, to say the least, happy to see me. I would imagine that they
had to drain whatever fuel was in that truck and start over with all new,
lighter fuel before that truck would ever go anywhere again before spring. I
think he learned that some of the things you can get away with down south,
won't get you very far up here when it gets cold. Up here, we've got real
honest to God.......COLD!!!!!

Rik