[Rhodes22-list] Difference Between #1, #2, #3, ... ,#6 Fuel Oil?

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Dec 10 11:35:20 EST 2003

Ed,

Kerosene & #1 fuel oil are basically the same thing except that kerosene has
had some of the foul smelling compounds like mercaptans and organic sulfides
removed in order to make the product more palatable for use inside closed
spaces.  This is a fairly difficult & expensive processing step, which is
why kerosene costs more than #1 fuel oil.  Both would probably be too light
to use in a diesel engine except in very cold weather.

My final exams are finished as of last night.  I only have to turn in a
final written report and do an oral presentation on a term project in my
MSTP504 Design of Experiments class from 7:00 - 10:00 PM tonight.  But, the
report is written & I just e-mailed the last two MS PowerPoint slides to my
partner for inclusion into the slide show.  We will be meeting on campus at
6:00 PM to do a couple of rehearsals on the presentation.  After tonight, I
will be officially on Christmas break until Jan 12, 2004.  However, I will
probably jump start my Sr. Research Project by getting started on some of
the literature, patent, and vender searching over the Christmas break.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium