[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Storage

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:55:40 -0500

Jim,

I'm not near my boat so I can't really measure, but the length is around 6
feet.  The vertical clearance of most interest is at the lip of the seat
where it comes closest to the cockpit sole.  This distance varies slightly
from boat to boat and also from bow to stern.  9 inches of vertical
clearance seems safe on almost any boat, 11 inches seems to be available on
some.  Once you have the item under the seat (by turning it, removing caps
or covers, or assembling pieces under the seat) there is more vertical
clearance for the item being stored.

There is a tendency to store more under the seats than you will use in a
lifetime, simply because you can.  I bought six 11 gal 9" tall Rubbermaid
containers when I first got my boat.  I can easily insert them only at the
stern end of the seats.  If I push them forward they cannot escape from
under my seats no matter how far I heel.

Over the years I have removed every non-safety item I did not use even once
during the previous year.  Last year I was down to 2 containers under the
seats.  This year I will have just one.  This allows me to find what I
really need in much less time; considerably lightens the boat; and provides
ample, convenient space for guests to put all the junk they invariably bring
aboard.

Bill Effros