[Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

R22RumRunner R22RumRunner@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:46:39 -0500

Not cool if your a duck.

Rummy
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Pihlaja" <cen09402@centurytel.net>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 4:36 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

Hi Everybody,

I was sitting here at my computer working on some internet job searches when
I looked out my window just in time to see a mature male bald eagle land in
the tree right above my dock!  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I've lived on
Sanford Lake since 1977 & have never seen a bald eagle here until now.  I
jumped up to go get my 35 mm camera.  I got back just in time to see a
female bald eagle join this male (a nesting pair perhaps?!?).  The female
eagle didn't land in the tree.  Instead, she began diving on a flock of
about 12 bufflehead ducks, which were in the water feeding on the sandbar
about 100 yards off our beach.  The male eagle joined her & you should have
seen the ducks scatter in all directions!  My 35 mm camera takes several
seconds to boot up from a cold start.  By the time the camera was ready to
shoot, the action had moved off down the lake out of range.  I went out on
our deck with my binoculars & saw both eagles snare ducks in their talons in
mid flight!  They both flew off with a duck in their talons in same
southerly direction down the lake!  It was totally cool.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium