[Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

Rummy r22rumrunner@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:58:06 -0500

Roger,
When we lived in Wisconsin, we used to see Eagles feeding on fish below
the dams along the Wisconsin River. I guess they were fishing in the
turbulent waters where the fish were less aware of their presence.

Rummy

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Roger Pihlaja
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 9:22 AM
To: paul@mi.chtechnology.com; The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Bald Eagles!

Paul,

Including yesterday, I've only seen bald eagles feeding in the wild
twice. The other time was in the summer of 1998 on Garden Island out in
the middle of northern Lake Michigan.  We were hiking along the beach,
crested a sand dune, & there was this immature bald eagle (didn't have a
completely white head yet), right at the water's edge, feeding on a
double-crested cormorant.
>From the blood on the ground & on the eagle, the kill was obviously
>quite
fresh.  Apparently, this eagle had a taste for cormorants because there
were several shredded carcasses along the beach within a 1/4 mile of
that spot. The eagle looked & sounded highly annoyed when we interupted
its meal (gave us the big raptor evil eye & scrack!), but it flew off as
soon as it saw us.

My North American Wildlife Field Guide says bald eagles eat carrion,
waterfowl, & especially fish.  The bird absolutely looks & acts like a
perfect killing machine.  Those ducks yesterday never had a chance.
Each eagle simply selected one, harvested it, & flew away with it.  But,
I suppose if there's a dead body available that one doesn't have to
expend energy to chase down; then, why not go for the easy meal?

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium