[Rhodes22-list] UPS sail

SVTRITON@aol.com SVTRITON@aol.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:15:41 EST

hi mark
the first email to marylou on our ups site has the windspeed numbers i was
told would be the maxs for the boat..note at this time no they had never made
one for an R 22....10 kts on a close reach is reasonable and ive done
it...but i am more comfortable with my 150 above that..ive done 14 on a
beam/broad reach and had the strange sensation of feeling like the boat was
being lifted out of the water..i had the board fully down and was doing 7.2
on the gps..dont know what the current was..
since im new to the boat i havent pushed too hard and am really anxious to
hear feedback from more experienced rhodies....one unrelated point.. if you
are underway and want to drop the sail after furling..put the wind in your
face and the sail will fall on the deck...the opposite is true if you are
raising the sail underway...put the wind at your back to raise it, then come
into the wind to unfurl it...i found last season that if i raised it with the
wind in my face it would sometimes get caught where the lower shrouds meet
the mast..in fact i got a small tear in the sail once because of that..easy
to fix but still unnecessary
best
tom