[Rhodes22-list] gun fight rules

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:19:32 -0500

Washington Times
February 7, 2003
Pg. 5
Inside The Ring
By Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough
Marine gunfight rules
With U.S. military forces ready for war with Iraq, troops around the nation
are preparing to ship out for the Middle East. The Marines have taken a
lighter look at some rules of ground combat, and we obtained a copy of them.
Among the 24 rules are such gems as, No. 1: "Bring a gun. Preferably, bring
at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns," and, No. 2,
"Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is
expensive."
Rule No. 7 is: "In 10 years nobody will remember the details of caliber,
stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived." And No. 8: "If you
are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running."
Rule No. 10 addresses a worst-case scenario: "Someday someone may kill you
with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because
it is empty." And No. 11: "Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight
is the one you lose."
As for prisoners, the rule is: Be careful. No 18: "Watch their hands. Hands
kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see
them)."
And advice for warriors in combat, Nos. 21 and 22: "Be polite. Be
professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet. Be courteous to
everyone, friendly to no one."
In a dig at other services, the Marines offer this: "U.S. Navy rules: 1.
Adopt an aggressive offshore posture. 2. Send the Marines. 3. Drink Coffee."
Army rules: "Show up after fight to provide security and help hand out food
to all of the displaced civilians."
Air Force rules: "Watch this all on cable in a BOQ [Bachelor Officers4
Quarters] while drinking a beer."

Vr/R,
Berlemann, Charles H. AT2(AW)
NEC7978 RSTS Operator/Maintainer