[Rhodes22-list] Cabin Step in 1975 Rhodes 22

Dennis J Sitler djsitler@gmpexpress.net
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 00:24:05 -0500

Bob this picture is from the front of the v-berth. It also came out darker
than the picture was. You can see the cement again right in the middle. To
the left the small white area is the thru-hull, and in the center right
behind the cement is the keel cover although it is hard to make out. You can
see on the white under the hatch way the tube that the rope for the
centerboard runs up thru. Right under the fire extinguisher you can see a
small black circle. This is one of the four holes I drilled thru the
bulkhead there. I used these to work on the bulkhead and to inspect under
the cockpit area. I found a block of floatation in the center compartment
but I don't think it is enough so I will have floatation in all three
compartments. I also ran a plastic tube under the floatation and back thru
the rear bulkhead in the lazzerett where I epoxied it in as well as resealed
the bulkhead. Now I can either plug the tube or open it, and any water runs
directly forward to the bilge pump. I also left a area around the tube in
the forward bulkhead so if any water should get in under the cockpit area it
can drain forward into the bilge area. My boat had a problem with water
seeping from under the cockpit area after rains.( this was a area where the
wood was wet and needed dried and fixed) It was just easy to do this while I
was there anyway. Hopefully when I get done sealing everything the boat will
be dry anyway. You can see a little of the seat upright on the right side in
the back. This is where the step you were talking about started and went
over the keel cover and was supported by the floor which isn't in the
picture because I removed that also.

Denny