[Rhodes22-list] Nicro solar vent

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 06:47:36 -0500

Mark,

Dynamic Equilibrium has a 4" diameter, stainless steel, Nicro Day & Night
Vent (Nicro M/N: N20504S).  The vent is installed on the cabin roof, above
the head, operating in exhaust mode.  The vent will come with the
appropriate size deck plate, but you will also want to get the interior trim
ring to finish off the installation down below in the cabin (Nicro M/N:
N10867).  The Nicro vent will not handle a large amount of water without
leaking below.  Therefore, for heavy weather & for tailoring, you will want
to have a snap-in deck plate to put in the hole.  (Nicro M/N: N10864DW)  The
Nicro vent comes in two sizes, 3" & 4".  A boat can NEVER have too much
ventilation, so strongly consider getting the bigger size.  If you locate
the vent above the head, like I did; then, it's right beside the mast.  In
my opinion, the plastic model is a little wimpy for this high traffic area,
so we opted for the stainless steel version.  Not only is the stainless vent
tough enough to walk on, but I think it just looks better than the plastic
vent.  The Day & Night model vent has a built-in battery & somewhat higher
power solar cells that can not only run the fan during the day, but also
charge the battery.  Then, the batteries run the fan all night, which helps
prevent condensation & mildew in the cabin.

If you sail in a buggy area; then, another option to strongly consider is a
teak interior trim ring with insect mesh (Nicro M/N: N29974N).  The insect
mesh will cut down on the airflow slightly, but makes a huge difference in
cabin critter control, especially at night.  You wouldn't think an insect
could fly thru a spinning fan blade against the moving air stream, but
believe me they can!  Since many biting insects are attracted by carbon
dioxide & water vapor, they are strongly drawn to the plume of exhaust air
coming from the vent.  It's not uncommon to see a swarm of bugs around the
vent on Dynamic Equilibrium after we've all been in the cabin for a couple
of hours.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium