[Rhodes22-list] Masthead Light

Saroj saroj@pathfind.net
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 18:11:46 -0500

Hope this helps.
Saroj

----- Original Message -----
From: "rhendy" <rhendy@earthlink.net>
To: "Rhodes List" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 4:51 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Masthead Light

Rhodies,
   Okay, I am in the middle of my winter rebuild and I am, for the most
part, creating an electrical system for my 1976 R22 from scratch.  The issue
today is proper lighting.
   My R22 has sidelights, a dead on arrival sternlight built into the
fiberglass of the stern on the starboard side, and another sternlight on the
stern rail which looks to be in pretty good shape.  This will get me lit
properly if I am SAILING at night....but....
   I plan to "go camping" on the boat this summer, therefore I have designed
an anchor light into my plan which will mount at the top of the mast....no
problem.  The problem is this:  If I plan to MOTOR anywhere after dark, the
U.S. Inland Navigation Rules call for a Masthead light.  The anchor light is
specifically noted as being illegal in that situation.  So now, as I see it,
I need still another light on the mast, more wires, and (more importantly)
another switch in the panel.  Whoops, my panel is full up.
   Poll to the membership:  What lights do you have?  How do you use them?
Where's the loophole in the law?

Fair Winds,

Bob Hendrickson
S/V Getaway