[Rhodes22-list] Fw: SpinSheet--37 Days

lcrowther lcrowther@cox.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:53:59 -0500

Everybody's bitching!

Lloyd
s/v/Uhuru II

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chesapeake Sailing Week" <dave@spinsheet.com>
To: <lcrowther@cox.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 2:00 PM
Subject: SpinSheet--37 Days

> SpinSheet Magazine
> Spring Commissioning Contributions
> February 12, 2003
>
> What is the deal with this winter? Will it EVER get warm again. As I write
this, on the heels of yet another "Arctic Blast," it is blowing about 125
knots in Annapolis, the Bay is churned into a frenzy, and the wind chill
checks in at 16 degrees. The other night I woke up with a blast of wind
against the side of our house and lay in bed frustrated with this Chesapeake
winter and its lack of sailing opportunities. Things got so bad that night
that the only way I could get back to sleep was to recall childhood memories
of ice skating on the Bay--probably the last time we had fun outside in a
cold snap such as this.

> "Well, we always have the muddy season to look forward to," a friend said
sarcastically the other afternoon.

> It might not feel like it outside, but the calendar tells us that the
official start of spring, the Vernal Equinox, is a mere 37 days away. The
almanac tells us that daily mean temperature has bottomed out for the
season. And lately, every afternoon, we gain a bit of pleasure noting that
daylight lingers a bit deeper into the evening.

> SpinSheet Magazine's March issue will include a special section on Spring
Commissioning and the Spring Launch. We're looking for "Reader Responses"
that we can sprinkle throughout the section.

> Please take a moment to drop a line to dave@spinsheet.com with your
thoughts, comments, and ideas related to Spring Commissioning and the Spring
Launch.

> Some ideas to get you started:
>
> What is your target launch date/when will you begin sailing?
>
> What are your secrets, rites, and tales of spring?
>
> When do you consider it too early to launch? When is it too late?
>
> What are the signs of spring that you, a sailor, take comfort in seeing?
>
> Will you be involved in any ritualistic sockburnings? Where? When? With
whom?

> Etc...
>
> Please send your submissions by 5 p.m. tomorrow, Thursday, February 13.
Don't forget to include your name and "homeport." Particularly entertaining
and informative submissions will be rewarded with some sort of SpinSheet
sailing hat and/or shirt.

> Thanks in advance for your contributions!
>
> Dave and the SpinSheet Crew.
>
> p.s. There are, of course, some people who cannot be stopped by any sort
of freaky weather. Last weekend the Interclub Midwinters were hosted by
Severn SA in Annapolis. 29 boats braved the snow storm that dropped eight
inches of snow on the Mid-Atlantic. The fleet completed 18 races in two days
in shifty NW-SW breezes. Team Scituate consisting of Steve/Jane Kirkpatrick
and Chad/Kelly Demarest repeated as Midwinter Champions.