[Rhodes22-list] Fw: Learn something new everyday

George Stecyk GeorgeS@af.tv
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 21:28:44 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Dwight Kuzanek
To: Jackie Peiffer ; Richard R Hall ; Myra Marchioretto ; Verne Hall ; Tracy and Michael Parks ; Tom Hall ; George Stecyk ; Debbie
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 2:54 PM
Subject: Fw: Learn something new everyday

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris & Nancy Ahrendt
To: Ahrendt Angela ; Alisa ; Ang ; Art & Chris Girard ; Cathy Sharp ; Christopher Ahrendt ; Cindy & Dwight ; Dale Svoboda ; George Thompson ; Glenn & Ethel ; Janet Buczek ; Kristen Morrow ; Maggie ; Mark Karliner ; Maryann ; Peggy ; Ralf & Falinea ; Rhonda Leucuta ; Rita Santa Cruz ; Rudy Karliner ; Terri
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 6:26 AM

 Subject: Learn something new everyday

Ever wonder where the word SHIT comes from?  Well here it
is:
Certain types of manure used to be transported (as
everything was years
ago) by ship.
In dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once
water
(at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the
process of
fermentation
began again, of which a byproduct is methane gas.
As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see
what could
(and did) happen.  Methane began to build up below decks
and the
first time someone came below at night with a lantern,
BOOOOM!
Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was
discovered
what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were
always
stamped
with the term "S.H.I.T" on them which meant to the sailors
to "Ship High In Transit."
In other words, high enough off the lower decks so that any
water that
came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and
start the
production of methane.
Bet you didn't know the history of that word.
Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.