[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Getting Boat off trailer for painting.

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:16:12 -0500

Bob,

I use the jack stand method, and it works like a charm.  It's safe, and
easy.

I use three jack stands:  two with flat pads, one V shaped.

The screws on the jack stands will lift the boat.

Try to get stands with tubes that are open on the bottom.  Then, if you want
to be truly lazy, get three hydraulic jacks.  Place the jacks under the
posts attached to the pads.  Raise or lower the boat to suit.  (Obviously,
you could do this with a single jack, but they only cost about $20.00
apiece, they're useful in other applications, and placing a jack under each
post makes the process ridiculously simple.)

Move the position of the handle on the screw of the jack stand every time
you move the post.  This will ensure the jack stand remains stable.  It also
allows you to reset the hydraulic jack.

Put cinder blocks, bricks, and pieces of wood snugly under the keel after
each lift.

Around here, boats much larger than ours are left on three jack stands,
sitting on their keels, for half the year.  Personally, I'm much more
comfortable once my boat is safely back on its trailer, but, at the same
time, it's nice to know you can safely work under it whenever you need to.

This jack stand method can also be used to position the boat exactly where
you want it for trailering.

Bill Effros