[Rhodes22-list] Trailers

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 03:35:56 -0600

Hi John.  Welcome to the Rhodes list.

One cool thing about the Rhodes trailers is the "V" guides that let you land
with the centerboard down.  The "V" catches the board and centers the boat
on the trailer, but you need a little roller at the back of the trailer for
the board to ride up on.  On my trailer, the boat rests on the bunks alone
and not on the keel.  This provides a little leeway for the board to ride
up.  The Rhodes and the Montgomery have the same combination keel style
except on my Rhodes, when the board is up, it's leading edge still protrudes
below the keel about an inch.  On the Montgomery, the board retracts all the
way into the keel.  This is one thing I don't like about my Rhodes. (Gasp!)
I worry about beating up the board when beaching the boat.  And on the
trailer, because it rests only on the bunks, it tends to "oil-can" the hull.

I used to own an M15 and loved it immensely.  The trailer was set up so the
boat rested on the keel and the bunks equally. That would be something for
you to consider if you went with the "V."  My guess is that it would be a
non-issue for you but I'm really not sure. I think the new owner of my M15,
"Moondance" (M15 #402) is still on the Montgomery e-mail list, and he tells
me that some of you are adopting this same "V" guide trailer style.  I
remember having a little trouble centering the boat on the trailer but it
wasn't really a problem because the M15 was light enough to shift around a
little manually.  Your M17 is quite a bit heavier and I would think that
this "V" type of trailer would be nice for you.

Are you on the Montgomery e-mail list?  When I was there, there was a guy
named Conbert, AKA "Connie" (M15 #401) who always had good technical advice.
Is he still there?  We have a Connie too.  His name is Roger.  :-)

Good luck,
Slim
S/V Fandango

P.S.  What's the latest concerning the flap about the Montgomery molds?  Did
Jerry sell?

On 2/22/03 3:38 PM, "Saltm17@aol.com" <Saltm17@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this list. I have a Montgomery 17 which is 20 years old and still
> have the original trailer and it is time to replace the trailer.  I
> understand that Rhodes uses trailers manafuctured in South Carolina and I'm
> trying to find out who, and where they are in SC.
>
> Thanks for any help
> John
> Miss T
> M17 # 372