[Rhodes22-list] Getting Boat off trailer for painting.

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:18:54 -0500

Bob,

Rather than investing in the separate jacks to lift your boat off the
trailer, you might consider modifying your boat trailer like I did in the
enclosed picture links:

http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/jack1.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/jack1.jpg
http://www.rhodes22.org/rhodes/pics/jack3.jpg

The below enclosed article was originally posted to the Rhodes List back on
09/03/01.  It discusses how to build my rear trailer jacks.  This
modification to your boat trailer will enable you to raise up the whole boat
& trailer.  Then, if you put jack stands in place or blocked up the boat
with cribbing, you could lower the trailer out from under the boat.  No
muss, no fuss.  Read the article below & you'll find other uses for these
rear trailer jacks.  I really like them.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

           Rear Trailer Jacks For The Rhodes 22 Trailer
I just finished a modification to my Rhodes 22 boat trailer that,
I think, is going to work out very well.  I had a local welding
shop install a pair of swing-up trailer tongue jacks on the
trailer frame behind the wheels.  Like most hardware on the
Rhodes 22, these jacks have multiple uses:

Changing a flat tire is a cinch & I don't have to carry a trailer
jack anymore.

The jacks make getting the weight off the trailer tires for winter
storage quick & easy.  If a tire goes flat over the winter, there
is no danger of it being cut by the rim.

The jacks make it easy to block up the rear of the trailer in order
to make it safe to climb aboard from the stern boarding ladder W/O
the trailer tongue rising up off the ground.  I used to stack-up
pieces of wood under the rear trailer cross member to block up
the back of the trailer.

We sometimes use our Rhodes 22 like a travel trailer.  The jacks
make it easy to level the "Rhodes 22 Pop-Top Camper" on nearly
any camp site.  Now, when we camp, we can look down on all the
"land-lubbers" from the deck of our firmly planted & level pop
top camper!

The 3 enclosed links are annotated pictures of my rear trailer
jack installation.  The 1st picture shows the jacks in the
swing-up position for trailering down the road.  Note how nicely
these jacks tuck up out of the way behind the trailer wheels &
in front of the trailer tail lights.  The 2nd picture shows the
jacks in the swing-down position with the trailer wheels raised
up off the ground, as if you needed to change a tire.  Note,
that there is plenty of clearance above the jacks to crank the
handles.  In the 3rd picture, a fast pin has been removed from
each jack pivot point & the jack has been removed, as if the
boat were about to be launched.  In the 3rd picture, only the
welded-on pivot point is left on the trailer.  The jack, with
all of its precision moving parts, is lying on the ground beside
the trailer & never has to be immersed with the boat trailer.

If you wish to duplicate my installation, here are the
pieces/parts you will need:

# Reqd  Description                                  Price Each

   2    Fulton Magnum Series HD Trailer Tongue Jack    $49.45
        Model No: 515-T-G, 5000 lb rating,
        Top Wind Style, Side Pipe Mount, 15" travel,
        With 3" X 5" Rectangular Foot, With Fast Pin
        Quick Release

   2    Fulton Pipe Mount Drilled For Fast Pin Quick    $5.45
        Release Model No: P-9814

                                          Total Parts:$110.80
     Labor Cost To Weld Pipe Mounts To Trailer + Paint:$30.00
                                        6% MI Sales Tax:$6.65
                                                Total:$147.45

So, for less than $150, you could duplicate my installation.
With a 5000 lb rating on each rear jack, raising the boat &
trailer is almost effortless.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium