[Rhodes22-list] Robert & Roger: - trim rings

General Boats wwrhodes@rhodes22.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:54:18 -0000

Without objection we will jump into this one.

Of course Roger's engineering, as always, is brilliant.  Ours is basic and
basically driven by aesthetics.  We then send our engineered product out to
our research department - you guys and gals - cup our ear and listen,  If
there is no screaming from the victims, we assume we did it right.  Between
the internet and all owners having our home phone number, this technique
seems to be working.

Rummy, as always, is correct.  Caulking the trim rings to stop a port from
leaking is as good as closing the barn door after the flock has escaped. No
Rhodes owner is silly enough to do this.

The early boats had the ports put on with a caulking type sealant - but this
was not 100% successful since few know how to do this:  The caulking should
be evenly spread by just lightly screwing the part, letting the caulking set
to form a gasket and then coming back to complete the tightening of the
fasteners.  My guys were tightening from the start and oozing out all the
caulking so when parts pulled back a little there was nothing to expand and
fill the later gap. To make things idiot proof and to make it easier for Ann
to pull a port when her hard cursing racing efforts blows a port on her
brand new Rhodes, we now use a special closed cell compressed tape that
easily expands to fill future gaps, no matter how hard it is compressed by
the fasteners.  And, coincidentally, makes it much easier to replace a
broken port.

The screaming down the road will tell us if this new system is the final
solution.

Incidentally, no one in our 44 year history has ever had a port blow out on
one of our boats (and live to tell us about it) so we do not think this
consideration trumps our aesthetic concerns.

ss/gbi