[ham] [Rhodes22-list] FW: A good idea

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:22:20 -0800 (PST)

Slim,

Let me answer the second question first.  Temperature
in the 70's, 8 to 12 knots of wind, lots of sunshine.
This morning I went out and emptied the pockets of
water that had collected on the boat cover and they
were full of ice.  Its time for Spring!

United and USAir were two of the most aggressive
offenders/saviors, your choice, in the eighties.  The
theory in the 70's and 80's was that minorities and
women had been discriminated against in pilot hiring
(they were) and something needed to be done (it was).
The policy did create a great deal of animosity among
white males who were displaced/delayed as a result.
How long should this policy continue?  Minorities and
women have proven they are just as capable of flying
as white males and only a few dying "old school"
thinkers believe otherwise.  So level the playing
field and end the "kid glove" treatment.  My two sons
are white male and I would like them to believe that
if they work hard, get good grades, and apply
themselves they will succeed.  The cynical side of me
believes that before their careers are over they will
be passed over at least once because of some
"goody-two-shoes" diversity program.  Discrimination
is wrong, just end it.  Reversing it to right some old
wrong is still discrimination.

It sounds like your sister has had good timing all
around. Hopefully she took a lump sum retirement. I
have some friends at United and USAir and things don't
look good.

Brad

=== message truncated ===