[Rhodes22-list] Fw: IMF lower bearing question

Mark Kaynor mark@kaynor.org
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 11:32:55 -0500

D'oh! Sent to the Sailnet (non-pic) list by mistake - you'd think I'd =
know better.... <g>.=20

Mark

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Mark Kaynor=20
To: rhodes-list@sailnet.net=20
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: IMF lower bearing question

All,

Last fall the screw that connects the boom to the lower IMF assembly =
worked it's way out. As I was screwing it back in, I noticed it felt =
stripped, so I pulled the assembly when I took the boat out for the =
season. I'm just now getting around to working on it, and I was =
wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue.

The screw is threaded into a circular piece of plastic that supports the =
lower IMF bearing. I'm attaching several pictures so you can see what =
I'm talking about.

I'm not sure whether I should drill and tap a new hole for the screw =
elsewhere around the circumference of the plastic disk, or if I'd be =
better off doing something like retapping for a larger screw or =
inserting a helicoil. I'm concerned that removing more plastic from the =
existing hole will make the walls too thin to hold well.=20

Suggestions, alternatives, etc. welcome.

Mark Kaynor
S/V Raven
Name: RavenIMF03.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 51027 bytes Desc: not available

Name: RavenIMF02.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 51732 bytes Desc: not available

Name: RavenIMF01.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 53078 bytes Desc: not available

Name: RavenIMF06.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 50371 bytes Desc: not available

Name: RavenIMF05.jpg Type: image/jpeg Size: 50492 bytes Desc: not available