[Rhodes22-list] RE: Two cycle motors

Kroposki kroposki@innova.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 07:31:49 -0500

Jim:
	As of this moment, I can't see where any two strokes meet the
2006 standards.  But then most four strokes don't meet the standard
today.  However, new two strokes are much better than the old.
	But the wording of all that I find says that you will be able to
use two strokes everywhere but California, even after 2006.
	About the environmental damage issue, I think last year or the
year before, 'Rummy' put the issue eloquently and correctly.  In essence
he said how much do sailboats really use their motors?  In 2002 I put in
two gallons of gas into my 3 gal tank.  I put in two ounces of two cycle
oil.  I still have a quarter of my tank.  I'll fill it one of these
days.  And I have intentionally used my motor because I am still
breaking it in.
	The point of the issue is not how much two cycle engines
pollute, but how much do sailboat two cycle engines pollute.  The truth
is not much.
      For the last fifty years I have been an outdoors oriented person.
I go hiking on the average twice a month.  I have walked all over the
southern mountains.  The environmental pigs abound.
	Even four stoke engines that are inherently more environmentally
friendly, are abused.  The abusers, the human piggies are the problem, a
few sail boaters who use their two cycle engines occasionally are not.
The small two cycle engines on sailboats are really insignificant.
	My decision was made on motor weight.  I can move my motor by
myself, without a struggle.  Less than 60 lbs verses around 100 lbs.  If
you are always going to have the marina or other help available, then
weight is not the issue.  I like to be able to do things myself, even
though I can always ask Rummy, Raze, and others.