[Rhodes22-list] more on the UPS sail

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:07:15 -0500

Thought I'd bring you up to date on the UPS investigations. We have 8 folks
in addition to Jay and I who have an interest in being included in a group
buy of the sail if a suitable discount is negotiated and if other questions
are answered satisfactorily. I did send a more detailed email directly to
that group so if you've expressed interest and didn't get that email
(subject line: status UPS investigations) let me know.

Jay spoke with a representative of Doyle Offshore who confimed their
reluctance to build the sail,  They evidently have had problems with  the
luff rope splitting the sail in big boat applications. They have changed
materials twice but evidently have not resolved the problem to their
satisfaction. Jay said something about "The R22 size requirement should be
fine" but I'm not sure what he meant by that. I took it to mean that there
shouldn't be a problem with a smaller UPS sail but we'll see as we follow up.

Jay and Fred and I will be meeting with Doyle City Island at the AC show on
Saturday. We'll have a LOT of questions. Doyle CI  made Tom Deliberto's
sail - the one that started all this discussion. We'll let you know how
this all works out.

Mary Lou