[Rhodes22-list] bottom coat

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:20:21 -0800 (PST)

Bob,

Both the BoatUS and WestMarine catalogs and websites
have "do-it-yourself" sections on bottom coating.  The
most extensive website with the most info is
Interlux's website, yachtpaint.com.  If you plan to
trailer a lot don't worry too much about the paint you
lose to the bunkboards;  all the paints tested come
off during repeated launchings.  If you plan to
re-bottom coat each year I wouldn't spend the money
for the high end stuff. BoatUS sells an Interlux
copper bottom coat under their own name for $50 a
gallon.  It goes up from there to about $200 a gallon.
 If you have an orbital sander you're in business.  If
you don't you can do it by hand but it's time
consuming.  I suggest buying yourself a belated or
early "Christmas" present if you need a sander.  Treat
the existing paint just like you would your house,
sand to a smooth surface but stay out of the wood, in
this case gel coat.  I bottom painted my ski-boat
several times and had just about decided to pay
someone to bottom coat the sailboat but then
remembered it would cost about $400 to have some kid
do what I could do myself.  On second thought, I have
kids, what am I thinking?

Brad Haslett