[Rhodes22-list] Combination Of Sharp Turn To Port + Single HandedDocking

David Keyes dkeyes@houston.rr.com
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:35:20 -0600

Roger, I will try your single dock line.  But the challenge with a brisk
wind astern has been even to get that far (to where one is entering the slip
between the finger piers), where you could get to the dock line.  I have to
think about coming in close on my port side to the sterns of the upwind,
docked boats just before my slip and fetching the dock line for a pivot into
the dock, but this couldn't work single-handed due to the protruding
outboard motors of the other boats.  I have been coming down the "alley"
between the adjacent piers with my boat about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way towards
the opposite pier to allow for turning room but without my stern getting too
close the the sterns of the boats to starboard as I make my turn to port.

As to your question:  Of course the wind is not always that strong.  I have
since found out, talking to the marina personnel and some other boat owners,
that (virtually) no one goes out on days where there is a strong onshore
wind (northerly wind--we are on a southern shore), which would be rare in
the summer but is common in the winter.  They don't go out because of the
same problem of returning to docks.  But I am going to ask a few of the
owners who seem to use their boats frequently, year around.

Even on the November day of my docking accident when mine may have been the
only boat out, I and my crew of two thought we were successfully turning
into the slip without incident after a great sail when at the last instant I
decided that the wind had caught the bow so that it was going to be pushed
too hard into the entering edge of the starboard finger pier.  I hit reverse
on the engine to soften the blow (and one crew member jumped onto the pier
at that point) to try to push the boat off, when my motor jammed in reverse
and we went rocketing back into the boats in their slips behind me.  (It was
when I forced the gear shift into forward just missing a collision with
those boats but permanently jamming  the gear into forward).

 Interestingly, much larger sailboats in the larger slips opposite me (the
ones I back toward as I back out of my slip) seem to have no problem, at
least when I seen them come and go on normal days.  One skipper with two
small sons repeatedly brings his 35-foot sailboat to a dead stop centered in
his slip with no lines whatsoever.  The only differences I can see are (i)
they are headed towards a larger opening, (ii) they are turning to starboard
if that makes any difference--is that what people talk about when they refer
to a right-hand prop?, and (iii) their prop is inboard and at the center
line of their boat, giving better steering control.

Lastly, even on relatively calm days, the approach to the slip requires
skill, paying complete attention, good anticipation and decisions and
sometimes a little luck.  Many years ago, I had boats at marinas in lakes
and bays where this was not the case, within the limits of prudent
seamanship.  For five years at one lake, I just sailed to the dock with no
motor at all (boats of 17 and 19 feet).  In Biscayne Bay in Miami, I docked
regularly a 34-foot motor sailer in many kinds of weather and never any
problem.  However, in the present case, for one thing, I usually have to
start my hard turn to port as if I were going to head into the (already
occupied) third slip out from me.  If one were driving a car doing this on
dry land, one would crash into the motor at the back of that boat.  I have
to "slide" out to starboard during the turn to actually come in, hopefully,
right in the middle of my slip without touching anything.  Surprisingly,
this works at least half the time, and over the past 1-1/2 years until
November, the rest of the time involved a bump into a fender or the like, so
no big deal--at worst a rubbing of the gel coat alongside the white rubber
strip at the edge of the finger pier, or against the small turning wheel at
the entrance to the port finger pier.  But there should be a way to make
this virtually 100% successful in all but emergency weather conditions and
where you could even explain to a guest skipper what he or she needs to do
as the best technique for this particular slip.  My success rate had gone up
significantly after the first few months of owning the boat when I started
the practice of, if needed,  momentarily engaging the engine in forward
during the turn, with the motor linked to the tiller.  Then, if I weren't
going to complete the turn in time (i.e., coming in too far too starboard),
I would change the tiller/linked motor  steering direction bringing the
tiller hard to port and momentarily hitting reverse to straighten the boat
out before proceeding (hopefully) straight into the slip.  This appears to
have been hard on the engine, as you said in an earlier email.

Roger, I really like your earlier suggestions, which I quote below:

"You might consider finding a different slip for next season. For example, a

slip right across from you would be better. A tight turn to starboard in

this situation is much easier than to port.

"If it were my boat & I were being more cautious, I think I would pull up to

the end of the finger pier, port side to the pier. I would either put out

fenders on the port side amidships or mount a suitable bumper on the corner

of my pier. I would loosely tie off amidships & use a bow line to warp the

bow around into the slip. No muss - no fuss."

There is not alot of room to do this at my slip, but it should be feasible.
The finger pier at the port is only one foot wide, and their is a long boat
with a motor protruding to port.  Likewise there is a boat and protruding
motor on the starboard side of my slip (mine being the last full one with a
finger pier on both sides to make an enclosure), and which of course one
would not want to "warp around" outside the edge of the slip and into that
motor.  The slip is 10 feet side.  So what you say should work with a
practiced technique, and I am going to try it.  Using your single dock line
idea  in your article quoted below, this could also be the line that I fetch
at the end of the port finger pier.

David Keyes