[ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] bow spit

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:17:02 -0500

Michael,
I'm still trying to picture how it's easier to "jib it outside". Not sure
if the problem is the batteries on my decoder or my limited knowledge of
headsails beyond jibs and genoas - probably both ;-).  As promoted the UPS
sail has the rope luff tack fastened to a padeye behind the forestay. The
sail is easy to tack because it is behind the forestay. I believe that Tom
has the halyard run to the cabin top so that it is easier for a
singlehander to raise and lower the sail.

If you put the UPS type sail in front of the forestay, I still can't see
how you tack with the forestay in the way. You could jibe but in light air
you can use the UPS sail as a drifter and go upwind - that's really what we
are looking for. We are planning to just lower the UPS out of the way when
we want to switch sails. You can't just get the forestay out of the way to
tack.

In our discussions with Doyle we came up with a sail that is essentially
the equivalent of a 180 genoa in sail area. That's big enough for us. I
like our 175 in 5-8 knots but it collapses on itself at about 4. I'm
thinking that the UPS will do the trick on a reach in 2-4 knots. As far as
sheeting locations - I think there will be a couple of options. I'm waiting
to hear from Doyle until I've got all my details straight.

Mary Lou