[ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] bow spit

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:26:48 -0500

Michael,

   For your use, the bow sprit might work well for the anchor roller and
cruising spinnaker, but after seeing Tom Deliberto's UPS, I think you REALLY
don't want it forward of the headstay.  His halyard was led aft (like the
topping lift) and allowed the ups to be set from the cockpit. Very easy to
do.  When you don't want the UPS up, just furl it then release the cam cleat
and pull it down onto the foredeck or even into the cabin. Although you
could gybe the UPS around ahead of the forestay, this would make it more
difficult to use when pointing.  IMHO, the UPS will work best set AFT of the
headstay.
When running before the wind, you could wing-on-wing the UPS and the genoa.

Really.

  But by all means add the sprit, too!

--Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Meltzer [mailto:mjm@michaelmeltzer.com]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 11:14 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [ham] Re: [Rhodes22-list] bow spit

well first off, I do want an anchor roller :-)
Second off I do have a cruising spinnaker :-)

Third off, doly is limiting the sail to a 13.5 lp, I think that a propriety
of the harken 3029, most likly I would want a 3049.
Fourth off I want to set my cleats back, like right next to the chain
plates, I know how a 175% feed into the winches and think it
is limiting sail area.
fifth off, by mounting the UPS inside the forstay means that I now have to
tack that sail inside, that is alot of canvas thought
that area. rather jib it outside
Sixth off, with the USP mounted inside the jib is unsuable, PITA factor,
only way around  is to goto the mast to lossen the halard,
not single handing friendly.

MJM