[Rhodes22-list] docking skills.

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:01:06 -0500

David,

You have that sense of humor that's going to keep you going in bad
times. Just try to come in when nobody is around. That's when it all
goes great. It's when there's a crowd of onlookers that put you on edge
and everything goes bad. Don't be afraid to ask an onlooker to catch a
line for you. Most people would like to help but will rarely volunteer.

For a real treat, go sit around a boat ramp at the end of a nice day.
Any problems you think you might have in handling your boat will pale by
comparrison to what you will witness. This has been mentioned before,
but it's worth mentioning again.

I got to see a great show one evening in beautiful downtown New Bern. A
fellow "sailor" was going to recover his boat. He had his buddy bring
the boat trailer down the ramp. Meanwhile, he proceeded to take the mast
down out on the water while bobbing around. Keep in mind that this was
aobut a 19' boat and there was no sophisticated mast crutch and winch
system for handling the mast. Now if the ramp had an electric wire
hanging across it, that might be a good reason to mess with the mast out
on the water, but I would think I'd just go to a different ramp. This
guy managed to have his son (?) hold onto the forestay as he tried to
gracefully lower the mast. Ooops. son could not hold onto forestay, but
sure tried to. Seems like someone went swiming about that point. Anyway,
the mast came down.  Seems like the boom went for a dip too. It got real
active out there. Then they put the boat on the trailer.

The boat on the trailer trick didn't seem to go so well either. I don't
recall the details cause I think I was unsuccessfully trying not to howl
with laughter and might have had my head down. Pamela and I were in the
car, but we might have had the windows down and I wouldn't want to just
plain laugh at someone ;=) This whole process took the guy about an
hour. Meanwhile there were some fishermen that wanted to bring their
boats in. These guys sure did their best to lower some people's opinion
of sailors that day. Of course, Bass Boat Bob has his times too. We just
didn't see him in action that night.

Alex