[Rhodes22-list] Escape From Experimental Island

rhendy rhendy@earthlink.net
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:17:10 -0500

Mark,
  That is a great link!  I guess my memory was 'pretty' good in my previous
post.  Apparently he only flew the one time.  The activity is unbelievably
dangerous and our balloonists were tethered by no less than three different
means, and they had two separate riser knives (if you are familiar with
parachuting equipment), and the prevailing wind had to be just right so that
if one of them actually managed to get away, they could descend into the
water where a boat was standing by.  Safety briefings were conducted by none
other than the individual who was the crew chief for both the Brietling
Orbiter, and Steve Fossett's balloon: the only two manned balloons to
circumnavigate the earth.  He was a fascinating man to meet.  We sat around
a picnic table talking balloons for about two hours that day. What an
experience for me!
   Believe me, the BBC took no chances and spent and incredible amount of
money to shoot that sequence.

Fair Winds,

Bob Hendrickson
S/V Getaway