[Rhodes22-list] Transom thru hull drains

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk@trw.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:45:19 -0500

Thanks for the details.

The previous owner used garden hose with hose clamps to the barbs, is that what you used?

Bob

>>> flybrad@yahoo.com 01/20/03 09:17AM >>>
Bob,

I replaced both transom thru-the-hull drains as well
as the seat drains because they were brittle.  One had
already cracked and filled the lazaret with rainwater
twice.  I chose to go 1/8" oversize with 1 and 1/8
drains but the original size would be fine.  Try and
cut as much sealant away from both sides as possible
with a razor.  You may get lucky and find the sealant
isn't holding much anyway.  Remove the nut from the
backside of the drain (inside the lazaret).  I gave it
some gentle persuation with a hammer from inside the
lazaret but if you do it the way a professional would
you should use a bolt and gently apply pressure from
outside against blocks placed against the transom.
Frankly the hammer works quite well. I don't know the
exact thickness but its thick, you won't damage the
boat. The hole should be smooth.  If it isn't you need
to make a repair or go oversize.  Replace with a good
polyurethane caulk. Make sure you get a good bead
around both sides and squeeze out the excess, then
wipe away.  The port drain (if your boat is like mine)
will have to be trimmed to fit next to the motor
mount.  A grinder, file, or good knife with some
patience will do the trick.  Now is a good time to
replace the drain hose as well.  They get brittle as
well and build up resistance internally as well as
kink if the bend radius is too great.  Home Depot or
Lowes both have hose if your marine supply doesn't.
Hope that helps.

Brad Haslett