[Rhodes22-list] Tax Equity? - another viewpoint.

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:17:33 -0500

I would have thought that the actual tax was higher. Tax on gasoline,
federal and state, amounts to around 40 to 50 cents per gallon. If you
fill your tank, average of maybe 16 gallons, you paying maybe  $7.00 in
tax. Carry that out using 20 mpg and average 15,000 miles per year and
how much gas tax did you pay? Probably $337.50 over and above all other
taxes. Your results may vary... Like if you drive one of those gas
guzzler SUV's with big tanks, you're gonna pay dearly..

In my case the Jeep Grand Cherokee averages 16.5 mpg unless I am towing,
then it's about 10 mpg. Carrying out the same math, you find that I put
the Jeep in storage and bought a Seebring that averages about 25 mpg.
Using the same 15K miles and .45 as tax, I would be spending $409 to
drive the Jeep. Anyone got one of those Family trucksters that Mercury
and Ford put out?

Alex