[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

Rik Sandberg sanderico@earthlink.net
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:49:58 -0600

Stan,

Yep, that's a real nice little table that Bill B. put up for us. If only any
of it were true, it would be great! I would absolutely love to pay that
small an amount in fed income tax, let alone total taxes. My income is NOT
high enough to make the average in the highest of the brackets in this
table. But I'm here to tell you that my federal income tax (just income tax,
mind you, not the total of ALL taxes) paid make the average tax paid (for
all taxes) in the very highest level Bill listed, look pretty low. Somebody
doesn't know what they're talking about here. Seems to be a common problem
amongst (typically liberal) journalists these days.

Another percentage that nobody has mentioned is: Just what percentage of
their time have people spent earning their money. If you are willing to
spend a lot of time being productive, rather than, generally screwing the
pooch, you better be ready to pay for the privilege. These days, if you have
any ambition at all, six people will see you working and decide that, since
you are willing to work so hard, they shouldn't have to.
"Re your wish for a flat tax, Bill B points out that in effect we already
have that.  More tax cutting will make the low end pay even a higher
percentage of their earning towards their total tax burden compared to
the wealthy end.  Remember, you heard it here. Keep this up and it will
eventually backfire.  That is why the knowledgeable rich are not in
favor. You say you do not know any wealthy ones to ask.  Try Bill Gates
father who has been outspoken against these cuts.  I know a lot of
variables influence Wall Street but it does represent wealth and so far
it is not applauding the tax cut."

I don't know, maybe there are people in the higher brackets that are paying
so little that it really does bring the average paid in down that low. It
sure as heck isn't the case at my house though.

Rik