[Rhodes22-list] Attn: Wally, more tax stuff

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 06:58:09 -0800 (PST)

Wally,

We were having this discussion a few days ago with a
couple of new guys that were trying to decide whether
to move to MEM or not.  They didn't see the point if
TN was going to impose an income tax and wanted to
know what I predicted.  My guess is that the new
governor will get an income tax and the sales tax will
go down slightly if at all.  They've either got to gut
TennCare or scrap it.  The Wall Street Journal
predicted its failure years ago.  Anyway, I told them
the story about how several years ago the City of
Memphis tried to pass an income tax on earnings if you
worked in Memphis regardless of where you lived.
Someone posted the home phone numbers of all the city
councilmen on the bulliten board in the crew lounge.
Between 1am and 3am while we were all milling around
waiting for our departures a couple hundred or so of
us started calling city board members to express our
views on the proposed tax.  That lasted about a week
and they dropped the idea.  Sometimes the "squeaky
wheel really does get the grease"!

Brad Haslett