[Rhodes22-list] Social programs.

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:05:42 -0800 (PST)

Stan,

That reminds me of the campaign rhetoric from 1992
coming from the "pork belly" Senator from NY,
remember, "the greed of the 80's".  Much of the
"paradigm shift" in the "new economy" of the nineties
was "smoke and mirrrors".  My best friend, a very
conservative stock broker, said all through the boom
there wasn't anything to back up the stock prices and
he was right.  Some CEO's, no, make that a lot of
CEO's turned out to be crooks. I hope they go to jail
but they probably won't.  Now we're in the middle of a
recession, business cycle, correction, what ever you
want to call it.  It would have come no matter who was
in office or who ran the SEC just as the Tulip Bubble
burst in Holland several hundred years ago. We've made
money about as cheap as it can get and people aren't
spending.  Now we're running up the deficit just as
FDR did to jump start the economy.  Cutting taxes
worked for Reagan, maybe it will work for 43.  The
truth is, as Richard Nixon lamented, the President is
either hero or goat as a result of the economy with
limited means to change it in the short run... Ah,
Richard Milhous Nixon!  Oh well, save that praise for
another day Bradley.

Brad Haslett