[Rhodes22-list] Free Education

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:22:27 -0800 (PST)

Slim,

I have to agree with you on the China thing.  My wife
tested for college right as the Cultural Revolution
ended and had to compete with 10 years of students
instead of just the high school seniors.  THEY picked
geo-physics for her.  She left in 1989, got a masters
in geo-physics, then asked "what now?"  She stayed in
school and got a second masters in computer science.
One of the reasons the Asian kids do so well in school
here is their willingness to sacrifice however much
time is required to excell.  Its not for everyone but
it sure works for them.

Europe seems to have a pretty good system.  More
emphasis is placed on learning a job skill and less on
a four year degree.  I don't regret the time and money
I wasted, uh, rather invested in college and grad
school but it doesn't entitle me to anything!  I'm
glad my kids chose college but I constantly preach to
them "you have to produce something to be of any value
to an employer!"  It probably goes in one ear and out
the other.

Brad