[Rhodes22-list] Free Education

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:53:57 -0500

I'm
>glad my kids chose college but I constantly preach to
>them "you have to produce something to be of any value
>to an employer!"  >
>Brad

Brad,

You speak the truth here. I have been in tech related sales for over 13
years. On my resume rather than providing an elaborate job description I
list who I worked for and how much money I made them each year. I list large
customers name, date, brief description and dollar amount of the sale.

A friend of mine with years of IT Management experience was having trouble
getting a new job. He asked me to look at his resume. He had described all
the different languages he could program in, all of his certifications, size
of his staff, as well as detailed job descriptions. His background is quite
impressive but there is a bunch of IT people looking for work. He wasn't
even getting interviews.

I suggested he focus his resume on the various projects he was responsible
for, providing a dollar amount for the budget and a dollar amount for
savings. He highlighted large projects that he finished on time. His resume
looked totally different. It said if you hire me I would save you a bunch of
money and implement large projects on time and under budget. He started
getting interviews and landed a decent job.

I can’t take all of the credit (I don’t tell him that) he is a very bright
guy and once he got interviews he got offers. It is important for anyone
coming into the job force to realize most companies hire you expecting to
get a return on their investment. They care about what type of revenue you
can bring in or what kind of savings or improvements you can make. The
bottom line is the bottom line.

Wally