[Rhodes22-list] Taxes & Politics

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:11:31 -0800 (PST)

Stan,

We probably agree on more than you might think.  We
certainly agree on this, corporations should not pay
taxes, they only collect taxes and pass them on with
higher prices.  Furthermore, our corporate tax policy
causes decision makers to "play the code" and
mis-allocate resources.  I agree with Bill that having
a high sales tax in lieu of an income tax is
regressive.  That's a primary reason I live where I
live.  If it changes I'll probably move.  Selfish?
Hell yes, everyone is.  That's why I wish we had a
lottery.  Gambling is the only vice I don't enjoy, I
think its stupid.  But if someone else wants to
gamble, great!  I love taxes that only stupid people
pay.  Our tax code has evolved as a function of social
policy.  People on the bottom of the food chain think
folks further up should pay more.  So do I, thats why
I favor a flat tax.  But, should the better off pay
twice the rate?  Three times the rate?  Where do you
draw the line?  I like rich people.  Poor people don't
buy airplanes, rich folks do.  If there had been more
rich people around in the seventies I would have eaten
more steaks and less macaroni and cheese.  You'd have
sold more boats too.  Deng Xiao Ping (a communist you
may recall) said it best in 1978, "to get rich is
glorious".  I'm not rich, I don't plan to be, and I'm
not worried about it.  What I do worry about is the
growing sense of entitlement from ever increasing
number of US citizens.  I sat through economics 101,
102, and grad school economics.  Did I miss something?

Brad Haslett

=== message truncated ===