[Rhodes22-list] Sailing questions

CHIMNEY18@aol.com CHIMNEY18@aol.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:43:23 EST

At the risk of interrupting the recent threads on war, politics, welfare,
etc. the cold weather has caused me to reflect on various experiences last
summer that clearly tell me I have yet to graduate from newbie status,   I
thought I would solicit guidance from the group.

Anchoring - I finally worked up the courage one day to practice anchoring -
one of my hidden anxieties - while singlehandling.   Dropping and securing
the anchor was not a problem.   I threw the anchor out from the cockpit,
walked it forward, let out sufficient scope while the boat backed up in the
wind, and secured the line on the bow cleat when I was satisfied the anchor
was secure.   I had lunch and read a little while watching for drift, which
didn't occur.   Retrieving the anchor was more problematic.   I released the
line from the bow cleat, walked back to the cockpit, motored up and hauled in
the line until I guessed I was pretty much over the anchor, and began to haul
it up.   I found it was very difficult to do, difficult to keep the boat in
place, and needed at least a couple of more arms to handle the tiller, motor,
anchor,etc.   It seems to me I obviously went astray somewhere but I'm not
sure where.   I am need of at least some helpful hints and maybe serious
instruction.

Jibsheets inside the stays - Two summers ago - my first with the boat - I
found myself having a lot of difficulty heading up when in a stiff wind with
the jib partly furled.   It was suggested that, among other things, I try
moving the sheets to one of the inward positions.  This past summer I did
just that and found that I indeed was able to point somewhat better.    I
also found, however, that unless I was sailing closehauled, the jib sheet was
hard against the outer sidestay.   I didn't see how to avoid that unless I
kept re-running the sheets every time I changed my point of sail, which
didn't, and still doesn't seem very practical to me.   Again, what am I
missing here?

Spinnaker blocks - Someone - I think it was Jay - just asked this question -
but I need a more detailed answer - or at least pictures.   I have a harken
furler (which I love, by the way) which uses the third sheave on the masthead
block and am confused as to where and how to install the necessary additional
blocks for a spinnaker (or UPS) halyard and topping lift for the
spinnaker/whisker pole.   As I recall Roger's posting in the Q&A, he made his
own masthead block.   That is probably not in the cards for me.   Can someone
give me some guidance as to what to order and how to install an appropriate
masthead?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.   Feel free to change the
subject heading to one specific to the topic.

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II