[Rhodes22-list] Sailing questions

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:56:56 -0600

Bruce and Lloyd,
Have you tried bringing up the hook using a winch?  Run the anchor line back
to a jib sheet winch and leisurely crank it up from the cockpit, while still
being there to control the rudder, main sheet, reefing lines, etc. and if
necessary, the motor.

When I single hand, I do this and let the anchor line just dump into the
cockpit floor.  I let the anchor drag in the water for a bit to wash off mud
and/or weeds and then try to grab it from the stern.   I let it dry a while
right in the cockpit and then later think about stowing it.  Typically, I
"heave to" in order to do things like stowing the anchor/rode that makes me
leave the cockpit when I'm single handing.

Slim