[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Taxes

Bill Berner bberner@optonline.net
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 11:57:43 -0500

Incredibly well said, Mr. Effros

Bill Berner
191 South Broadway
Hastings on Hudson, NY  10706

v 914 478 2896
f 914 478 3856
e BBerner@optonline.net

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Bill Effros
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2003 1:29 PM
To: R22 List
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Politics: Taxes

Every discussion about taxation boils down to an attempt to convince
others to pay more for projects we favor than we will have to pay for
projects they favor. Many of the arguments are specious, and the facts
wrong. But, hey, all's fair when fighting over money. Most people oppose
any "welfare" that isn't going to them.

So, the pilot rails against sports stadiums built at public expense, but
has no problem with airports built at public expense.

And the truck driver opposes subsidies to railroads and subways, but
favors vast highway building programs paid for with tax dollars.

And the man who opposes "welfare" for others wants to believe that the
money he received as "unemployment insurance" is in some other category,
because he personally contributed, at an earlier time, all of the money
he subsequently collected.  (As they used to say "t'aint so, McGhee".)

And many people seem to favor war as a solution to a multitude of
problems. But no one seems willing to discuss where the money will come
from to fight these wars. (Invariably we shift these costs to our
children, first by forcing them to fight the wars, and subsequently by
forcing them to repay the monetary costs--with interest--which we have
borrowed because we are unwilling to pay these costs ourselves.)

People speak of wanting a "flat tax", but at the same time they say they
want to exempt dividend income.  These policies are mutually exclusive.

Tax policy is complicated, and really quite interesting.  That's why
this thread has endured for so long.  By our positions we reveal our
fundamental values, and how carefully we have considered them.

Bill Effros