[Rhodes22-list] Show me the beef.

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:38:33 -0500

Rummy,

Glad you made it through hell. I wouldn't want your experiences and feel
lucky that I came of age between wars. At times it was kind of strange to
grow up in a military family in the 60s and 70s.

We lived in military housing in Pearl City Hawaii in the late 60s. I was
about 10 or so and my best firend Kevin lived in the other half of our
duplex. We played little league together, we were in the same grade, rode
the bus to school. He was my best friend. His Mom was my Mom's best friend
as well.

My Dad was on an Oiler at the time. When they cruised down to Viet Nam they
pretty much just sat off the cost fueling Carrier support groups. He would
leave for 8 months then come back for a couple of months or so and head
back. It was very safe war duty.

My buddies Dad was on river patrol. Not safe at all but he survived this
hell for about 10 months. When he finished his tour they were flying him
back via helicopter to a ship. He was to meet the fleet and steam back to
Pearl Harbor. Something went wrong (I was never clear on this) when he was
being lowered from the helicopter to the deck;the harness came free. He fell
about 30 feet onto the steel deck and was killed instantly. I will never
forget the day we got the news.

The school I went to was mostly military kids with many Dads serving tours
in Viet Nam. More than a few times a kid would leave school because his
father was killed. This meant of course they couldn't live on base so they
would go back to the mainland. Everybody knew when this happened.

So this is what happened to my buddy Kevin's family. They got the news that
his Dad was dead, and a month later they moved back to Boston. It still bums
me out when I think about it.

War is hell, there should be no rush to get to hell. If we go, don't hold
back!

Don't know about you but we are "brunching it" today. I'm being called to
make some Bloody Mary's.

Wally