[Rhodes22-list] New Owner

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:12:57 -0500

Joeseph,

You got another picture of that gash? It's too close a view to see the
boat to gash comparrison.

But, the repair should be straighforward, boat wise. Get a copy of "West
System Fiberglass Boat Repair and Maintenance" which is put out by
Gougeon Brothers, Inc. Price tag is missing on my copy, but it seems
like it was about $3. You ocan get it at West Marine or Boat US.  It's
86 pages of instructions and illustrations for repairing and maintaining
fiberglass.

I would see if you could gain access to the gash from the inside. You
need to clean up the hole a bit and grind the surface down in a bevel of
12 to 1 rateo. It should be backed up from inside then built up by
layers till it's the same size as hull. The book shows it well.

Battens would be an easy fix. You can get batten material at any boat
store that caters to sailors. It's usually fiberglass and you can cut to
size. Be sure to file down the sharp edges and maybe buy batten end caps
which slide onto the fiberglass.

For your halyards, you need to measure the mast length and double that
number. Purchase low stretch dacron line. Lots of sources, including
Sailnet, the sponsor for this site. You also need dacron line for the
sheets. Not sure about the size but seems like it's 5/16 or 3/8".
Halyards can be 3/16" or 1/4" You don't need to overdo that size. You
should have a panel with switches for the electrical system just below
the step into the cabin. It's usually mounted above the centerboard
trunk on a panel that extends to the port side.

Good luck with the projects.

Alex Bell