[Rhodes22-list] Propeller selection

Jim Connolly jbconnolly@speakeasy.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:32:52 -0800

First of all, thanks to the list for all the feedback on my previous motor question.

FWIW, I will likely end up getting the Nissan/Tohatsu 2-stroke 2-cylinder 20" NS8BEF2.  This is the smallest, lightest (and least expensive) new motor I could find with electric start (priority for my WW) and charging system.

I still like Yamahas, but to get these features, I would have to go with the T-8, almost twice as heavy as the Nissan, and 50% more expensive.  They are also scarce.  Couldn't find a 20" shaft F6 or F8 for a good price, most places with good prices sold out until July.

Now the question, which prop?

Nissan web site lists a heavy boat as 1,500-3,000LB, and lists two potential propeller choices for the NS8BEF2 and a heavy boat as follows:

Diameter	pitch	blades	SN
8.5 		6.5 	3 	3B264-5130M
8.5 		7 	3	3B264-5140M

The local Nissan dealer was not willing to speculate on which would be better.  Since the Rhodes is at the upper end of heavy, it seems logical that the lowest pitch might be the better selection.  This is also consistent with the FAQ.  I am worried about over-revving though if pitch is too low.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these propellers & a Nissan/Tohatsu 8 on the Rhodes?

Jim Connolly