[Rhodes22-list] Offshore sailing classes

Ware, Joseph W. joseph_ware@merck.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:10:07 -0500

Mark, if you can sail, you can get a boat.  We took one out of SunSail a
couple of years ago with a Flotilla.  That was a nice way to go on the first
time out.  We had a 35 footer.  When I told the office that I was ready to
go out, after they had someone go over the boat with me at the dock, one of
their guys came out, told me to cast off the bow line, when he removed the
stern line...and head that-a-way.

Guess he was done his check out of me.

We had no problems.  Bigger boat only means more attention at the dock.  It
does not turn, start, stop as quickly as a 22 footer.

Start easy, this was the first.  Next time go out without the flotilla.
Keep moving up as you go.  It's all experience.

Joe
s/v Whisper

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Kaynor [mailto:mark@kaynor.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 2:13 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Offshore sailing classes

Bill,

They call it an offshore class but the only certifications they offer w/ it
are coastal (ASA 103, 104, 105, and 106). We're looking to kill two birds
with one stone. We'd like to be able to bareboat charter, and 104 gives us
that w/ 103 as a prerequisite.

We've also started dreaming about pulling up stakes, buying a bluewater
cruiser, moving aboard, and taking off, but neither of us has any offshore
experience. We do most of our sailing on inland lakes w/ occasional forays
to the Chesapeake and the Maine coast.

We decided that we could get our feet wet (no pun intended <g>) and see how
we like/handle a crossing to the Bahamas before we invest much more time or
effort into that particular dream. If it goes well, we'll try doing some
bareboat charters and see where that takes us. We've got a ton of stuff to
learn before we can even consider doing any serious bluewater cruising.

Mark