[Rhodes22-list] sail slugs and cover

Robert Dilk Robert.Dilk@trw.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:09:01 -0500

thanks
going up I can  live with,
But trying to get the sail down can be a problem.

Bob
>>> salm@mn.rr.com 01/30/03 03:19PM >>>
Bob,
It's not a cover.  You can buy a little slide stopper (probably the wrong
term) that slips in the gate, the part of the mast slot at the bottom where
it opens wider.  The stopper looks like a slug itself with a tightening knob
on it.  You put it there after all the slugs are in and you tighten it up
just above the gate, with all the sail slugs above it.  Then you can drop
you mail sail and it won't all fall out the gate.  It's not supposed to come
all the way down to the boom because the gate is a little higher than the
boom, but it allows the sail to come down so you can indeed flake/furl to
the boom.

Then get a sunbrella-type main sail cover that goes over the whole furled
sail and boom.  Then you don't have to bend the sail on each time or wrestle
with it when it comes down.  You'll love it and wonder how you got along
without it before.

Slim