[Rhodes22-list] The cost of freedom.

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Jul 5 15:17:55 EDT 2003

Ed,

Yes, Rummy's email is glurge.  Go to snopes.com.  Type in "Declaration of Independence signers" and Rummy's email will pop up.  They explain how the history has been fudged, and how the central point has been fabricated.

In a nutshell, the fate that befell most of the signers did not happen because they signed the piece of paper.  The declaration was a declaration of treason from the British standpoint.  The signers became "terrorists" from the British standpoint using popular 21st century rhetoric.  From our current standpoint, Saddam Hussein's taped declaration aired yesterday on Al Jazeera was an act of treason, people attacking our troops are terrorists, and we say we are justified in torturing enemy prisoners if we feel it will hasten the end of their rebellion.

We do not consider declarations of independence from us to be noble statements of principle, nor do we admire the people responsible as heroes.

Glurge fudges the nuances, and alters history to fit--all with a patina of happy face patriotism.  Thinking in this way can and has had bad consequences for all of us.

There are valid fundamentally different ways of looking at history and resolving not to repeat mistakes.  We can learn from each other only if we keep the discussion intellectually honest.  Glurge is, by definition, dishonest.  That doesn't make the sender dishonest, as most senders are unaware that what they are sending is not true.  But we all know how to use this tool, and we all have an obligation to check things out before sending them along.

Bill Effros