[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Under Water

Christine Allison sailnut at asan.com
Wed Jul 9 10:26:57 EDT 2003

> This is where the technique of "actively sailing" the boat comes in.  You
> put up sail area sufficient in size & appropriately distributed for the
wind
> lulls.>

As Roger pointed out sailing on the foresail alone unbalances the boats
force set-up leading to lee helm.  In my opinion lee helm,  particularly in
heavy weather is something one should avoid like the plague.

Much better to deeply reef the main and proceed  with a partial furled or
better yet a purpose built, low hoist, storm jib.  The boat will stay on
it's feet and you will have a more relaxing and comfortable ride.  Comfort
(in a relative sense) is very important if you are doing any kind of passage
work.  You don't want to be exhausted before you reach your destination.

My first mono-hull boat was a 19 foot Albin-57.  With a reefed main and a
storm jib we could work (slowly) to windward in a gale and never broached.

In my opinion the ability to get to windward in heavy air, under sail is
absolutely vital for any sailboat with an outboard.  The
possibility/probability of excessive cavitation from violent pitching in a
head sea can lead to major problems if the weather is setting you onto a lee
shore.  Practice beating under windy conditions.  You will find that there
is a subtle rhythm to the wind and the sea that in time you will become
attuned to.  Once you become attuned it's possible to sit back and enjoy the
ride.

Richard Smith