[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit Under Water

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Wed Jul 9 21:35:33 EDT 2003

I am not sure of the answer myself.

Goast Guard numbers.
(length*width)/15 is the coast guard rule of thumb or (21.5*8.5)/15=12.18 people, it using avarge of 150 pounds per person or
12.18*150 = 1827 pounds.

found this pdf
 http://www.uscg.mil/d8/mso/louisville/WebStuff/comdtpubp16761_3b.pdf
The stability is interesting

IIRC the cosatguard rate the boat for 3 tons of wine when I was checking doucumantion.

My problem is most of these number are for power boat and does not take into accountn the needs of sailboats.

All that said, 1000# on a gunnel and no wind will have the rail under(i think), trying to get a grip here

MJM