[Rhodes22-list] Titanic

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 11 14:30:57 EDT 2003

Jim,

I did some research on the topic for a book.  I was sent to find quotes from original sources.  Never found them.  If anyone can point me to an original source I'd love to see it.  Even after it had sunk, but before people knew what had happened, the White Star Liners spokesman was only willing to say it was "practically unsinkable"--and even that was not a direct quote.

I don't know why a shipbuilding trade paper would have done a story detailing watertight measures on Titanic.  Those measures had been employed on many boats prior to Titanic, and it was believed, or at least reported, that, to use the words of the future Captain of Titanic in 1906 (6 years before Titanic's maiden voyage) "I cannot imagine any condition that would cause a ship to founder...Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."

By the way, this was the same captain who piloted Olympic into a Royal Navy Cruiser, sustaining major damage.  He must have been related to somebody.

Bill Effros