[Rhodes22-list] Re: So what is the list option about sending troops to Liberia?

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 14:13:51 EDT 2003

Having lived in Liberia 3 yrs as a Peace Corps Volunteer, let me 'splain some
things.

Liberia has been America's colony in Africa for over 150 yrs.  It was
"settled" by mulatto decedents of slave holders who fathered children by their women
slaves.  These settlers have been dubbed "Americo-Liberians."  Although most
fathers of mulattos left their children with their mothers in slavery, the
Americo-Liberians settlers were raised and educated in the homes of their fathers.

With no place in upper class ante-bellum society for high status blacks, the
US government granted colonization rights and backing to the original
Americo-Liberian settlers.  Until the Cold War, Liberia only consisted of some coastal
towns that squeezed by trading slaves, diamonds and rubber latex with
America.

During W.W.II, the US stationed an Army regiment in Liberia mainly to protect
the rubber supply of the Firestone plantation.  We also built up our naval
and air corps facilities to protect shipping along the Gulf of Guinea.

The Cold War gave us cause to help the Americo-Liberians subjugate the
indigenous people throughout the interior.  Along with that came US financed road
building, missionaries, Lebanese cash crop traders and the good old Peace Corps.

The indigenous people overthrew their Americo-Liberian masters about 20 years
ago.  Charles Taylor, the current dictator-president, reestablished
Americo-Liberian rule starting with terrorizing the population using a child army
invasion in 1989.

Former European colonial powers feel a moral obligation to help their former
colonies sort out their messes.  After all, it is the mistakes of colonialism
that are the root of many Third World problems, to wit, the British
colonization of Iraq and Kuwait.  Even the hated French are always putting their troops
lives on the line to help their ex-colonies, especially in Africa.

Africans feel it is our obligation to help as any other former colonial power
who messed up a part of Africa. Unlike our recent invasion targets
Afghanistan and Iraq, the indigenous people of Liberia really want our help.  If we fail
to help now, then they too may join the world-wide resentment toward the USA.

If moral conduct is not our thing, then we should at least realize by now
that Americans can die when states fail.  The countries bordering Liberia have
already suffered from Liberian terrorism.  It is not a challenge for
Americo-Liberians to blend into American society to further whatever goals they may have.

Fred