[Rhodes22-list] Problems with the launching of Carmie Anne

LafingBear at aol.com LafingBear at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 00:37:42 EDT 2003

I finally got the boat ready to launch after endless delays and a death in
the family. My daughter and her husband came down from Mass. and we had one day
to get her in the water. It was Sat. it,was windy, it was choppy, and the
marina was crowded.   After backing her off the trailer there was no room to turn
her around, so I kept backing her out between the two rows of big boats.
Because of the heavy chop, the motor kept bobbing up out of the water and just as I
got ready to reverse direction ,the motor quit. The wind was between 1-15kts
and I'm now driftng rapidly towards the docked boats. I had removed my light
anchor to replace the chain and I didn't have time to drop the main anchor.
Sooo, I told my daughter to drop the centerboard all the way(  it would act as a
brake as I  went up on the gravel shoreline and it would straighten out the
boat so I had some steerage.) There was one open slip at the end of the docks
and I got the boat close enough to get a line over a post and we  stopped her
just four feet from the shore. Neat way to start the season!!. I have now
ordered a long shaft 4cycle Mercury as my other motor is burned out and not
trustworthy. I was amazed at how fast a motor can seize up! Live and learn, and don't
forget!
For those of you who sail on Lake Wallenpaupack, in Pa., the Carmie Anne has
a dark blue hull, red rubline, and white topsides and she's docked at Woodland
Hills, next to the Cove Haven resort. I'll be up at the lake most of August
and would like to meet up with the other Rhodies on the lake.
Jim Gifford