[Rhodes22-list] Stupid people tricks

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Jul 16 18:53:16 EDT 2003

Richard,

There is no disputing the fact that 2-cycle engines produce more power per
unit weight than 4-cycle engines.  Their high specific power, relative
simplicity, low weight, & low cost are the reasons why they dominated the
marine engine market for so long.  But, those factors are not the issue
here.  The reasons why 2-cycle marine engines should be phased out ASAP are
that they consume almost 2X as much fuel & emit at least 10X more pollutants
in their exhaust as 4-cycle engines.  These pollutants are discharged
directly into the upper layer of the water, where they can cause dramatic
harm to the small organisms at the base of the food chain.

I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of how much of the heat in a
2-cycle engine is absorbed in vaporizing & heating up the incoming charge.
Given the low heat capacity & latent heat of vaporization of air & gasoline,
I wouldn't expect it to be very much.  If that's how the 2-cycle engine
cools itself, then it's a good thing they use almost twice as much fuel per
unit power than a 4-cycle engine because they would need to to reject the
heat.  Realize that the same sort of charge preheating occurs in a 4-cycle
engine, except not to as great an extent because the volumetric efficiency
of a 4-cycle engine is almost 2X that of a 2-cycle engine.

I'd be very surprised to see any 2-cycle outboard engine survive the torture
test my son put our Honda thru without seizing.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium