[Rhodes22-list] Re:Yamaha and salt water - is it just mine?

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Thu Jul 17 21:40:37 EDT 2003

Get a new thermostat/seal and replace the current one(s), simple job, it located under the black housing, engine top, look for the
water hose, 2 nuts holding down the housing.

With the housing off for the thermostat, run the motor for about 30 second at high idle to blow the salt out of the engine
passages(watch out for the glazer effect :-), clean up/scrape out the thermostat housing.

I had the same problem this spring, the thermostat was frozen with rust/corrosion, restricted operation, engine never came up to
temp, salt built up everywhere, finaly cloging. BTW I found you really need to push something full size with the hose off the "pee
tube" to relly get the salt out, scaping the wall does not do it.

MJM
BTW do not drop anything in the water.